SRPB-PRO-Z80 - The Single ROM Pro Plug and Play Prototyping Board for Z80 based systems.
What is it
The SRPB-PRO-Z80 is an adapter that allows you to quickly and easy convert old CPU systems such as arcade games into single ROM solutions without ANY permanent board modifications. It is a completely plug and play solution.
Why did I build this
Many old games like Atari Tempest Missile Command, Asteroids etc. have TONS of small hard to find and VERY expensive ROMs. Maintaining or repairing these systems can be a pain. A few arcade enthusiasts have created various kits for various games to allow them to be converted to a single ROM solution by buying a custom adapter board or by proving instructions how to physically hack the CPU board to allow for a solution. These single ROM solutions often increase the reliability of the games, and they can often fix non-working boards or help to isolate issues with non-working boards.
I fix and upgrade boards for people and have wanted a fairly universal solution to either upgrade someones games permanently or more often want a way to simply bypass all the game ROMS so I can isolate problems when fixing. This board is a solution I designed to solve both problems.
- It allows you to replace all your ROMs permanently in a professional clean manner if you so desire.
- It can be used by people who repair boards and want to single ROM the board currently being repaired without cutting traces and making permanent modification to the board.
- It is completely re programmable and can be reused on different boards of the same CPU architecture unlimited times.
What type of CPU can it be used with
- Allow for users to easily prototype professional and sturdy Single ROM hacks using the existing sockets on a PCB main board.
- Comes with a fast re-programmable W27C512 EPROM to store the game code on
- Comes with a re programmable GAL8V16 to control the EPROM enable logic
- Absolutely NO soldering required, and NO board modifications are needed.
- It should be able to use the SRPB-PRO-Z80 to single ROM ANY Z80 based board theoretically.
There are a few things to be aware of before buying this board
- You MUST have a soldering iron and solder to assemble the adapter
- You MUST have a ROM programmer that can program a W27C512 (ex. GQ-4X)
- You MUST have a programmer than can program a GAL8V16 (ex. TOP2005+)
- You must have the needed single ROM game code, which you can create yourself or download.
- You must have the needed .JED file for programming the GAL which you can create yourself or download
- On games with separate game code, video code and Sound Code, the SRPB-PRO-Z80 kit will not be able to single ROM ALL the sections, only 1 section, however many games only have many ROM is the main game code section.
What does it look like
Image shown of main SRPR-PRO-6502 board, the Z80 board looks nearly identical
Instruction Manual and Theory of Operation
Where to Buy
Buy on etsy.com
Pre created ROM and .JED files for various games