SRPB - The Single ROM Prototyping Board
What is it
The SRPB is an adapter that allows you to quickly and easy convert old CPU systems (like arcade) games into single ROM solutions.
Many old games like Atari Missile Command, or Tempest have TONS of small hard to find and VERY expensive ROMs. Maintaining or repairing these systems can be a pain. A few arcade enthusiasts have created various kits for various games to allow them to be converted to a single ROM solution by buying a custom adapter board or by proving instructions how to physically hack the CPU board to allow for a solution. This single ROM solutions often increase the reliability of the games, and they can often fix non-working boards or help to isolate issues with non-working boards.
I fix and upgrade boards for people and have wanted a fairly universal solution to either upgrade someones games permanently or more often want a way to simply bypass all the game ROMS so I can isolate problems when fixing. This board is a solution I designed to solve both problems.
With this adapter all you need to do is
- It allows for a generic adapter in case you have a system you would like to single ROM permanently.
- It also is a nice solution for people who want to fix boards and want to single ROM the board while testing without cutting traces and making permanent modification to the board.
- Remove the old ROMS
- Program a new ROM image into a 27256 or 27512
- Insert the programed ROM into the SRPB
- Place the SRPB into an open ROM socket
- Set the jumpers as needed for your game
- Plug the header cables into the appropriate address line
What type of socket can it be placed in
What type of CPU can it be used with
Basically any 8bit CPU including
- Allow for users to easily prototype professional and sturdy Single ROM hacks using the existing sockets on a PCB main board.
- Be able to insert into a socket strapped for a 2708, 2516, 2716 , or 2732. With NO Permanent PCB board/socket modifications.
- Target socket type selectable via dip switches. (2708, 2716, or 2732)
- Accept ONLY a cheap and easy to find 27512 EPROM or a 27256
- provide external jumpers headers for address lines A10-A15
There are a few things to be aware of before buying this board
- If your game system uses TMS2532s this system may not work if you do to the pin-out of the TMS2532. (many boards can be configured to use 2532s or 2732 with jumpers on the board, this will work in those systems that are "Strapped" for 2732
- You must have the information on how to single ROM your board (recipes will be added as discovered) Mainly this is a tool to convert boards where that information already exists OR where you want to experiment yourself to try to design your own single ROM solutions..
- On games with separate game code, video code and Sound Code, the SRPB kit will not be able to single ROM ALL the section, only 1 section, however many games only have 1 or 2 ROMS for sound and video.
What is included and what does it look like
There are two versions available, the SR PB which is a fully assembled adaptor board including 6 pin jumper wires OR the SRPB-EE which is the assembled SRPB + a 27512 EEPROM, the EPROM included is one I know will erase and program great in the in-expensive GQ-4X programmer.
|Cost: 1 unit for $23.00 shipped to USA
||Cost: 1 units for $28.00 shipped to the USA
The SRPB is a complete solution that is sold fully assembled.
SRPB is $23.00 assembled and shipped to the USA. (No EPROM included)
SRPB-EE is $28.00 assembled and shipped with a W27C512 EPROM included.
Download the SRPB version 3 PDF Instruction Manaual here (boards sold after 2/1/2016)
Where to Buy
Buy on etsy.com